Saturday, October 21, 2006



"Daffodils" -- oil on canvas, 20x24" That's an armadillo basket, surrounded by artichokes and daffodils on an antique tablecloth. When I was back in junior high school (in Iowa), I used to hang out at my friend Jean's house. One time we were up in her attic when I spied this armadillo basket. How cool! She thought it was ugly and gave it to me. I've cherished it ever since. For a while, it held my supply of those pink sponge hair curlers we all used to use back in the late 60's, early 70's. It even went to college with me. And the daffodils? Actually, when I painted this, I only had one daffodil from the south side of my house. I just kept placing it all over the setup, painting it and then moving it to a new spot. I'm getting together some flower paintings for a show coming up and will probably include this one.