Sunday, February 08, 2009

"The North Forty" -- plein air field study -- oil on masonite panel 11x14" -- Margie Guyot

After painting Shirley's truck, I moved my easel over to do a painting of the view just to the north of her house. This is a very small wood shack that a couple lives in. It's a historical building along Old Dixie Highway, just north of Eastport. Over 100 years old, it consists of 2 rooms.

The 2 big stacks of logs are Sue & Shirley's firewood supply for the winter. They cut, split and stack their own wood every year. They have 2 large gardens where they grow a lot of their own food. This spring I look forward to having them show me how to rig up a solar panel to power a small pump for my irrigation system.

Old Dixie Highway is lined with huge, old maple trees that were casting shadows across the snow this afternoon.

Labels: , , , ,