Monday, July 28, 2008

"St. Clair Lake" -- plein air field study -- 8x10" -- oil on birch panel -- Margie Guyot
While the Detroit area was sweltering in 90 degrees and high humidity, once again it was a lovely day here in NW Michigan. After leaving Tapawingo this morning I decided to stop in Ellsworth's tiny city park. It's tucked in behind the Ellsworth Farmer's Exchange complex, with all the LP gas trucks and grain elevators. Once you've weaved your way through all that, there is a pretty little paradise.

Having been roasted a little too long in the hot sun lately, I looked for a shady spot to stand. Parked my easel under a Chinese elm and painted this view of St. Clair Lake. A slight breeze kicked up the lake, creating small ripples. One group of fishermen put their boat into the water and zoomed off south. Those were the only other people in the park while I was there.

Still trying to get used to my new Soltek easel. The palette is some kind of plastic and it seems to dry out my paints quicker than I'm used to. Because of the configuration of the easel, I've had to arrange my paint layout in a different pattern, so it's going to take a little getting-used to.

Labels: , , , , ,