Saturday, February 28, 2009

"Pink Tulips" -- oil on canvas -- 12x9" -- Margie Guyot

I picked up these tulips at the grocery store last week and was too busy painting other things this week. They were out in my studio and I nearly forgot about them. I knew I had to paint them today, or they might be falling apart in another day or two.

I really loved the way they looked in the bright sunlight. Because I knew they wouldn't last much longer, I wanted to keep it simple and rather small. I painted them just they way they were, sitting on my big table. I'd left the white plastic grocery bag around it and I think it makes a more interesting painting.

The sun was moving so fast! I didn't know if I'd be able to pull this one off. I started out painting just the dark shapes. Then I moved to the medium-toned shapes. By then it really looked crazy. But I kept slugging away at it.

Notice how the dark gray shadow on the table right underneath the pot is reflecting back some of the dark pink?

Labels: