Tuesday, September 29, 2009


"Lemon Pie #2" -- oil on canvas panel -- 5x7" -- Margie Guyot

"Lemon Pie #1" -- oil on canvas panel -- 5x7" -- Margie Guyot

Had quite a busy day today! I had baked a pie shell (from scratch, of course!) yesterday so it would be ready to use. This morning I used my grandmother's recipe for lemon meringue pie. It's been years since I made this pie, so I was really watching every step. So easy to foul up, especially with the meringue. I almost DID foul-up. When I stuck this into the oven to brown the meringue, I considered taking some scraps out to the chickens. Good thing I stopped. I know I would have gotten side-tracked and the whole thing would have been burnt to hell.

It was very dark and dreary here today, so I used a studio light. And I set a box on my table and set up my still life on top, so it would be a bit higher. Was just in the mood to show the pie a bit closer, maybe the way a child would see it, looking more head-on, rather than looking down from above (like an adult). Pie #1 has a pose rather reminiscent of a big shark, ready to leap out at you.

I picked up a tiny kitty in the middle of the road a few days ago and since nobody would take it, I decided to make it my studio cat. Named him Picasso. Picasso kept wanting attention, so I'd say about 50% of both paintings were done while holding little Picasso. He doesn't like being ignored! He tries clawing his way up my jeans, as if they were trees.

Guess I'm going to be one popular person in this neighborhood! I gave away the rest of the pie to the neighbors. Gave away the apple pie I baked the other day to the neighbors. I'm TRYING to be on a diet! If I don't give the pies away, I'll be a blimp.



Labels: , , ,