Saturday, November 04, 2006


"Cinnamon Roll" -- oil on stretched canvas -- 4x5" There's another blogger named Duane who's making a good little income painting these things. So what the heck -- if HE can do it, so can I! I bought this at Kroger's the other day and set it up in my studio to paint while listening to NPR. I also painted a donut (will post tomorrow). The interesting thing about painting such ordinary subjects is that we artists get to really get a good, hard look at things. We notice what most people don't. I had never really taken a good look at the glazing on a cinnamon roll. Take a look at this one. Can you see the pale, smokey lavendar? I was surprised. But it was there. Maybe it would have been easier to paint the golden tones, wait for the whole thing to dry, and then layer on the frosting glaze, but I'm an impatient type. I do things all at once. Did I eat this when I was finished? You need to ask? But I'll tell you -- it sure didn't taste like the ones my grandmother used to make.....