Tuesday, January 02, 2007

"Self Portrait 1-1-07" oil on canvas -- 9x12"
Every once in a while I like to practice doing portraits -- and I'm always available (!), so I plopped down in front of the mirror and painted this. I haven't had any classes in portrait painting, but would love to study under a master someday. It was after 3 PM and such a dark, dreary day outside that I barely could see what color I was putting on the canvas. Why didn't I turn on the lights? They create a glare on the canvas that makes it nearly impossible to see what I'm doing, so I avoid them. I've always loved the loose, brushy style and would love to do a lot more portraits. People's faces are so interesting to me! It's hard to find people who will sit still for an hour or two these days. But portrait-painting is my next frontier. At the very least, it's a nice break from the "sour owl brown" of a snowless Michigan winter.