Friday, November 24, 2006




"Doll" (detail) -- oil on masonite -- 11x14"

Last weekend I was invited to come and paint inside Barlett Travis House, an historial house in Canton, Michigan. It was open to the public for a Christmas walk. That place was decorated all over, with multiple Christmas trees, bears, holly, the whole big deal. I set up my french easel in one of the bedrooms where I painted a simple still life of a couple persimmons.

I paint quickly, so I was done with the persimmons painting in about half an hour. So I rearranged the persimmons and painted a second version. There were still had 2 hours to kill, so I looked around for something (other than persimmons!) to paint. I found this doll parked on a bed in another room and borrowed her. I was surprised at how much fun it was to paint her! Hmmm... that reminds me.... I have my mom's old doll upstairs in a drawer.....