Monday, July 28, 2008

"Clean Sheets" -- plein air field study -- oil on canvas 9x12" -- Margie Guyot
Sometimes the most interesting sights are right under our noses. I came back late this afternoon from slugging away at a painting of some white pines down at the beach (which I wiped out). As I drove down my driveway, the sight of my laundry hanging at the side of my art studio caught my eye. Loved that section of bright white triangle on the sheet!

After parking the Explorer, I quickly set up my easel and drew in the basic shapes. The first thing I concentrated on painting was the sheets and their light & dark patterns. I did 99% of this painting using a #8 flat brush. It's an Ultrex Ultra, which holds its shape very well. Thin lines can be painted by holding it on its side. In fact, I get a cleaner line using this method than if I used a thin brush.

As usual, my 2 cats kept me company. They are very curious and follow me all around the yard. I tell them they're "artist's cats" and they seem to smile.

Labels: , , ,