Wednesday, August 06, 2008


"Approaching Storm" -- field study -- oil on canvas -- 11x14" -- Margie Guyot

Around 6 this evening I threw some painting gear into the Explorer and parked in front of an old barn. Finished the painting, then decided I just couldn't stomach another old barn painting! It's like one of those wine bottle & onion paintings: they've been done a zillion times! Wiped out the canvas. As I turned around to load up the Explorer, I saw these huge storm clouds coming in from the west. Wow! THAT'S what I needed to paint!

What better spot to see approaching weather than good old Rex Beach? It's a tiny park about 3 or so miles from my house. Hardly anybody goes there. Which is why I like it so much. Total peace & quiet. A million dollar view -- all for free!

It was such a dramatic sight. I had goosebumps. My heart was racing. I wanted to do cartwheels. Which would have probably landed me in the Emergency Room. It was like being in the middle of a Charlton Heston movie. Think "The Ten Commandments", during one of the plagues. Lightning flashed out over Lake Michigan. Gigantic, dark clouds took over the sky. Waves rippled, reflecting gold sky and dark clouds. A light zephyr (ah, to be able to use that word!). No mosquitoes. I had the place all to myself. Hell -- I could have gone skinny-dipping! Haha! Just kidding! Anyway, I was having a blast painting this!

Doggone -- I only had this one canvas with me. It would have been spectacular to have a 12x24" or maybe 3 panels for a triptych.



Labels: , , , ,