Sunday, June 28, 2009

"1940 Allis Chalmers Garden Tractor" -- plein air field study -- oil on canvas panel -- 8x10" -- Margie Guyot

This was the 3rd painting I did yesterday during the Charlevoix Circle of the Arts "plein air paint-out". I'd seen this tractor a couple weeks ago and planned on painting it sometime. Love the orange color! It belongs to one of my neighbors down the road. He plows the neighbors' gardens for them. I asked if he minded if I came over & painted it sometime. He said no problem -- but to watch out for the electric fence.

To get a halfway decent view of the tractor, I had to set up my easel as close to the electric fence as possible: about 3 feet. Had to keep reminding myself not to step back!

Time was running short, so I painted this as quickly as possible. 99% of each painting is done with a #8 flat brush. The only thing I used a little brush on this on was to do the steering wheel.

I was hot, sweaty & worn out, but I managed to frame all 3 paintings, shower & get gussied up and deliver everything back to Charlevoix for the 4 PM deadline. Whew!

Labels: , ,