Sunday, June 28, 2009


"1950 GMC Truck" -- plein air field study -- oil on canvas panel -- 8x10" -- Margie Guyot

This was the first painting of the day yesterday. I had woken up at 4:30 AM, ready get going. I was participating in a "paint-out", hosted by the Charlevoix Circle of Arts. Painters were to show up between 7 & 8 AM to get the backs of their blank canvases stamped. From there, we were free to go out and paint whatever. The rule was that we had to have things framed and back by 4 PM.

I knew I just had to paint this truck. It's been parked at Featherly's, an auto repair shop on 31, on the south side of Charlevoix. It's for sale. They are asking $7500 or best offer. If I wanted to give up all my other interests and spend every moment working on old car repairs, I'd get it. And paint it hot pink!

Fortunately, I was able to set up and paint this picture before Featherly's opened for business, so I wasn't in anybody's way. I regretted not having any viridian in my palette. I've been using the colors of Scott Christensen ever since I had his workshop last summer. But there are some colors that just can't be mixed. I had to come to a close approximation with a mix of ultramarine blue, yellow ochre, a teeny hint of alizarin crimson and white.

Thank goodness the bugs weren't too bad. But it was very sunny and hot. I roasted the whole day, only finding interesting things that were in full sun. Seems like most artists long for a nice, shady tree to stand under whenever possible.

Don't think it's easy to draw in a vehicle, either! I just have to keep reminding myself not to panic! I often have to wipe out parts and correct things. The background is entirely made up. I removed the "reality" in back of the truck and set Lake Michigan as the background. Such feelings of control....!


Labels: , ,