Monday, March 16, 2009

"Elk Lake" -- plein air field study -- oil on birch panel -- 8x10" -- Margie Guyot

Saturday was a beautiful, sunny day, up to about 50 degrees. Probably the nicest day we've had yet this year. I felt the urge to drive down to Elk Rapids, the next little town down US 31. Every time I've been through, this big lake catches my eye. I've wanted to come and paint it ever since I moved up this way. The town's name is Elk Rapids, only I have no idea where the rapids are. All I've ever seen is this big lake. It's got dozens of tree stumps, some of which you see poking up out of the ice in this painting. I don't know the story on this lake yet. Probably it had been a river and it was dammed up, killing a bunch of trees?

When I see all those tree stumps in the water, the first thing I think is there must be some great bass fishing! I hope to get some fishing in this year. I haven't taken time to fish in almost 10 years, what with working and moving. This year I'm going to go fishing. And get out my kayak!

Labels: , , , ,