Sunday, May 31, 2009

"Todd's Truck" -- plein air field study -- oil on canvas panel -- Margie Guyot

Friends and I went over to sculptor Todd Warner's house today and visited. Some of us got out our easels. So much to choose from -- he lives in the most interesting house I've ever seen, with quite a menagerie. Still, this red truck caught my eye.

I only had 2 reds with me: cadmium red light and alizarin, plus no small brushes. I think I painted 95% of this with my favorite #8 flat brush. The sun was only out for about the first 20 minutes, so I kind of had to wing it as far as the lights went. And Todd had to leave before I was finished, so that's the excuse I'm using if anybody has any criticism!

The only bad thing was that this truck was parked right next to his poultry pen. We're talking Peeee-yoooooooo when the wind was just right!

Labels: , , , , ,