Sunday, February 10, 2008

Day #3 -- "White Duck" -- oil on canvas -- 30x40" -- Margie Guyot
Got a bit of a late start out in the studio today. NW Michigan is having a huge blizzard that started yesterday, roared all night and continues into this evening. The high today is zero. The winds have been gusting to 50 mph, with probably 6" of snowfall (at least). Kind of fun as long as you don't have to go out in it. And -- if your furnace is working! I had trouble with mine and had the repair guy over for a few hours.

After the repair guy left I fixed a small cup of coffee, pulled on the heavy down coat and slogged through the drifts out to the studio. Thank goodness that heater works! Turned on Diana Krall again and got to work on this painting. I wanted to try to establish the shaded and lit parts of the black & white tablecloth. And slug away on getting the white paper bag to looking like a wrinkled paper bag that it is. Which sure ain't easy! All those whites are different. The paper bag got a lot of orange-toned reflected light from the chinese lanterns which was fun to notice. It's tougher to paint a wrinkly white paper bag than you'd think. At least it was for me!

Now when I run into a stumbling block I have another thing to do to "buy time". Like when a cat gets confused, it will stop & lick its paw to give the impression it's not that concerned, just "thinking about it". Now that I have my sax in the studio, I sit down with it for 5 or 10 minutes and go over some etude studies. When my lip give out I go back to the painting. Back & forth. Eventually the painting will be figured out and my sax chops will come back!