Sunday, June 28, 2009

"Sunlit Ferns" -- plein air field study -- oil on canvas panel -- 8x10" -- Margie Guyot

My buddies were already down at the beach, painting. We decided to meet at Antrim Creek Natural Area, our favorite spot. It's a long hike down to the beach from the parking lot, going through a beautiful woods, following Antrim Creek. I spied this little patch of sunlit ferns and somehow managed to climb down the steep, muddy, poison ivy-filled bank to get down to the stream's edge.

Overhanging branches and leaves were casting shadows on the water. Some of the trees take advantage of the situation and grow right up at the edge of the stream, sending roots right down into the water.

I really loved the bright green reflections on the water.

At one point, my friend Mike Toderoff tried to scare me by making a most convincing imitation of a bobcat. But I knew it could only be something Mike would do. Still, there ARE bobcats in this area, as I'd seen one in my front yard earlier this spring.



Labels: , , ,