Saturday, October 11, 2008

"Waves -- South of Petoskey" -- plein air field study -- oil on canvas -- 9x12" -- Margie Guyot

Friday I was driving back from visiting my brother in the hospital in Petoskey when I noticed these amazing waves. We'd had nearly 2 weeks of dreary, wet weather and finally it was sunny -- but very windy. The wind was kicking up big whitecaps on Lake Michigan and there were places along the shoreline south of Petoskey that I just had to stop and paint!

For this painting I walked way out to the edge of the water and set up my easel. There were lots of big rocks and the ground around the rocks was slimey and mucky, but it was a very invigorating experience, being pummeled by the wind. I haven't had much experience painting waves, but they were fabulous to watch. The fall colors were just beginning with their reds and golds. It was late afternoon and the distant tree-covered shoreline was showing some deep, bluish shadows. Way at the back on the left is the beginning of the hills of Petoskey. It was very refreshing to stand out there, doing this painting -- after a very rough week.

Labels: , ,